No need for a skilled team of framers to install this structural insulated panel roof in Washington State…
With so many skilled laborers who have left the work force over the past couple of years, many architects and builders are exploring alternative approaches to structural systems. The need… a simpler-to-install YET effective building system. SIPS provide a 3-in-one solution: a building’s structure, insulation and air barrier. One crew installing SIPS takes the place of multiple crews and work schedules for those three functions. And SIPS arrive at the job site pre-cut and labeled, ready for installation according to the building plans (like a big puzzle). So what could that mean for your project (of course depending on size)? Streamlined construction…. time savings of days, weeks or even months.
Project: Leavenworth, WA
Architect/Homeowner: Alison McLellan of Syndicate Smith LLC (this is a personal project of the Architect, Syndicate Smith was not involved in the design process)
SIP Panels: 2,200 square feet of 12″ SIP roof panels with a factory laminated 1/2″ ACX plywood interior finish skin and pre-installed insulated I-joists
Installation Crew: 4 person crew plus boom operator
- 1 Framer
- 1 Homeowner with construction experience
- 1 Homeowner Architect
- 1 Homeowner Friend
Roof Panels Installation Time: 13 hours
SIPS can simplify construction in many ways:
- Factory-cut window and door openings- eliminating need for detailed framing and header installation
- Flat panels that help drywall, cabinetry, door, and window installers complete work faster and with better finish
- The oriented strand board (OSB sheathing of SIPS provides a continuous attachment point, so crews do not need to search for studs when installing cabinetry
- SIPS come with pre-cut electrical chases- eliminating the need to drill holes for wiring through dozens of studs
Homeowner Alison is a Architect with Syndicate Smith who we have completed several projects with.
More SIPS projects by Syndicate Smith:
Modern Mountain Home, Leavenworth WA: 12″ SIP Roof
Modern Timberframe Home, Leavenworth WA: 8″ SIP Walls and 12″ SIP Roof
QUESTIONS ON THIS PROJECT?
Contact: John Vanderhoof, Washington & Oregon Sales